Sunday, July 31, 2011

Goodbye Borders!


For awhile now, Borders (and I would say many bookstores) has been facing financial troubles - books (physical books) just don't seem to be selling like they used to. Now with all these electronic readers - like the iPad and the and Kindle - real books seem to be left on the shelves. It's sad to see one of my favorite places closing its doors. All over America, Borders Bookstore began their 'Going out of Business' and 'Everything Must Go' Sales.

This is just horrible to me, I remember all the times my parents took me to Borders and told me I could buy any  book or books that I wanted - yeah they really wanted me to read. But, I loved walking through the numerous aisles of books, reading the captivating titles and glancing at the unique covers. I could spend hours there, gliding my fingers over the books, trying to decide what I was going to flip through and eventually buy. My dream had always been to work at Borders (Okay, not a life long dream, but like a part-time job dream that I had).

I can't read through the Kindle or iPad, or anything electronic - it really does make my eyes and head hurt. I love feeling the pages between my fingers and folding down the corners of my favorite part of the book so I know where to come back and read again. I like marking things in my books - little reminders, what this made me think of, my own ideas. I hate that bookstores, like Borders, are being taken away from all the bookworms! It's just not fair!

Save our book stores! Seriously, what's playing in my head is a song my mother sang to me in order to try to get me to read! Books are for learning and learning is fun. Books take you places, common and pick one. Books are exciting from start to the end. A Book is a wonderful friend! 


Love,
ALPHA

No comments:

Post a Comment