Thursday, August 18, 2011

Some Day My Prince Will Come...Hold On There's No Rush

One glance at each other and
poof love at first sight.
Our childhood has been filled with the ideas that 'one day my prince will come, one day I'll find my love' - I believe we've (well girls) are under the impression that one day our perfect Prince Charming will come and swept us off our feet and we will live happily ever after together. I wanted that dream when I was a little girl too, I only second guessed that when I began to re-experience the magic of Disney fairy tales. Does love at first sight really happen? Are there such things as soul mates? Why does our life begin when we finally meet a man? Are we that dependent on men? Why can't a princess ever be single and happy? Why do women always need to be in a relationship?

Prince Eric fell in love with his voiced rescuer.
Automatically wished to marry that woman.
I'm not saying that relationships and marriage are a bad thing - heavens no! I would love to be in a relationship and I do eventually want to be married. I'm just saying that I'm content in being single - I don't need to center my entire life around finding that one perfect guy for me - I mean I don't even know if I believe in soul mates yet. I just think that now is the time to be focused on me and improving me. Like Samantha Jones always says, "Honey, I love you...But I love me more" - that's exactly what I feel. I want to know that I can take care of myself and be independent. I really don't want to be dependent on a man (I mean there are times where I will need some heavy lifting done and such but you get the idea).


A Whole New World indeed.
A Whole New Love Story - not so much. 
But what if, I never meet that one man and I'm still content? Do I need to be a married woman in order to be happy? There are other ways of having companionship and love and even sex these days. There are tons of old bachelors out there who are famous for being successful and single, but when a woman is single at a certain age well there's got to be something wrong with her right? Ugh, society and their standards. Why are people so scared of successful, strong women?


"I could have been married, I chose not to be. I could have adopted children. I chose not to. I don't want to live with anyone, because I don't like it. I can be with someone. I can be very close, very reliable, very faithful, very present. But to live with someone? No. This is one of my luxuries. A very abstract luxury, and something you cannot photograph" 
-Virginie Mouzat, 45 
August 2011, Vogue

This one apparently danced
with him once upon a dream. 
I just read about Virginie Mouzat in this month's Vogue and I was just dumbfounded and read in awe about her. The life she leads is like a dream! She's single and she's happy about it - and guess what, she's also quite successful and has many high standing friends (um, hello free gifts from Balenciaga - and more!) I'm so excited to read more about these women who pursue their personal goals and successes - sure some of those goals were marriage - they still have control over their lives and love it. I want to be like that. I want that to be my future. So, Prince Charming I want you to come someday but let me take care of myself and then you can come join me. 

Love, 
ALPHA

No comments:

Post a Comment