Saturday, August 6, 2011

Need Advice for College?

When I was entering 11th grade trying to get myself prepared for what's to come of the next two years of my stressful and hectic life, I really needed some help. I was practically clueless about colleges, where to go in order to search about literally ANYTHING about my future college. College majors, college towns, college tuition, college requirements and scores, even small things like party scenes, room and dining halls, I think it's pretty obvious that I was VERY confused. Picking college is picking your home for the next for years and picking a place where your going to start pursuing your career and building your future. It's not a joke, and it's a lot of money. Picking my university was probably the most difficult decision I had to make and because of my great friends and upperclassmen, I was able to get some college websites that would fill me in on the details and help me ultimately decide what college is right for me. I mainly used five websites that helped me make my decision since I wasn't able to tour around colleges. Each website has it's own unique functions that are SO SO SO helpful and vital when thinking about university. If your a struggling junior or senior getting $H!T from your parents and guidance counselors trust me, this will be useful.

College Prowler
I cannot tell you how many hours I spent on College Prowler. It was actually ALPHA that first introduced me to it. Usually college websites are all about statistics and facts but this web site's unique quality is that it's got a report card for every college that fills you in on absolutely anything. Not only the typical education and SAT requirement stats but they rate the party scene, drug scene, Greek scene, the hotness of the guys and the girls and digging in, you can even find out more low-key and other useful hints.  Now which website actually gives you reviews and rates stuff like that; DEFINITELY not the official college websites!  Honestly, your not only basing your college on education, its absolutely about other factors as well like location, the people, the campus environment etc.

College Confidential
While college confidential is more about knowing the basics of each school and generally getting the vibe of each college, if you're really looking for colleges that are for a specific major or you're looking for budget I think college confidential could really help you out. Not only are there TONS of articles that could guide you but the best part about College Confidential is the College Supermatch. Supermatch helps you narrow down your school choices by name, location, area of study, tuition options and it matches you to a college that would be perfect with anything you are looking for! Even if you have certain schools in mind, you can see if you match with the school's requirements and other aspects. Also what I love about college confidential is the endless discussion boards. I always used to post my own questions or look at questions about the general admission process or about specific universities and TRUST ME someone or the other has either posted your question or will answer your question so don't ever be shy!


College Board
College board is definitely more official than both college prowler and college confidential. It is the home of all your SAT's from the scores, your subject tests, and signing up. Also, you can type in schools and it gives you a more official report of what the school's are looking for. I like college board only for the organization of the SAT but I think the offical report about the requirements of the school are kind of out dated, and sometimes they don't have all the information so you should always go to another source to confirm. College board ALSO has a lot of free practice tests for you and study guides which are DEFINITELY useful!

Princeton Review
The Princeton Review, although is not as popular as college board, or the other websites, it's also very useful. I took many of the Princeton Review SAT classes, and when you take that you get alot of access to free tests and guides on the site. Not only that but princeton also gives you a lot of information if you want to double check a college or look into it!

Official College Websites
Official college websites are always the best to check about scholarships or funds, even details on meal plans, housing, to see more pictures and more details. I think always first off you should start off with the official college websites because ultimately it's there to give you the most information!

Love,
ALPHA

No comments:

Post a Comment