Friday, August 19, 2011

Happy 25th Anniversary!

This past Tuesday, my parents celebrated their 25th Wedding Anniversary. My father, mother, sister and I all dressed up (semi-casual - ha!) and we went to an amazing dinner at the Oriental Hotel. After drinking and toasting with our glasses of champagne, my sister and I asked them what the high lights of their marriage were - I mean besides me and my two sisters of course! We heard story after story - some that we hear all the time, some that we actually just heard about; but then came a time for my sister and I to tell them our favorite memories. I guess the night became less of their night but more of a night of memories for our whole family.

During the whole night, and even as we were walking home, I couldn't help but think of how lucky I am to be a part of my family. When I was little I didn't recognize it, but now that I'm older I can clearly see how close I am to my entire family and how good of a relationship we all have. If it weren't for my family, there's no way I would've been the person I am today; basically I want to say that family is just so gosh darn important! I'm so happy that I have two sisters that I can bond easily with! My dad constantly tells us that it always made him smile to think about how great sisters we are and how we were always there for each other. And I know the other Alpha's are really close to their siblings and they couldn't imagine their lives without them either! I can't really think of people who aren't close to their siblings...I mean I know it's possible but how could you not when you're almost constantly with them?

I guess I really have to give credit to my parents! 25 Years together!! I mean with the divorce rate this high these days, I'm really proud to have parents that are still in love with each other after all this time. My sister and I did ask why they thought they were able to stay married for so long - I mean besides the whole they love each other part. My parents both agreed that the most important thing in a marriage is the ability to compromise - which in turn strengthens their love. Most younger couples seem to be more selfish in a relationship, unable to compromise with their partners because they are stubborn. The whole point of marriage is to be with the person you love and therefore adjusting to their needs as well. I think this really proves your love; when you are willing to give up something in order to make the other person happy.

I love seeing my parents happy and in love still after 25+ years of being together. It actually makes me scared to find my future husband, my dad kept telling my sister and I to find a man that will give us everything and more and who really truly love us. When you're young, you never think of the bad sides of marriage - like if it ends in divorce. It worries me that I wont find that one perfect husband...but I really do hope that when I find him I'll know for sure he's the one! I have great parents as role models of what a marriage should be - I hope I can recreate that for my future family.

Happy 25th Anniversary Alpha Mom and Dad!!
Love,
ALPHA

No comments:

Post a Comment