Sunday, August 28, 2011

How to Talk to New People

So, college. The main thing you have to do (or should do) is go out and meet people!! But, a lot of people are nervous and don't know where to start or what to do. I'm just going to list what I do when meeting people (which I had to do this week - and I'm pretty sure it worked!)

1. Smile!
If you want friends, its important to look friendly. So, smile at people. This reveals that you might be a nice and open person - at least that's what you're aiming for.

2. Don't Hesitate
Okay, after the whole smiling thing attracts people and you can kind of sense that someone wants to talk but its like at that awkward stage where you don't know who should go first, jump the gun and you do it! I just always start with, "Hi! What's your name?" and then follow up with "I'm [insert name]" and then add a follow up question like "Where you from" or "What's your major" or  "Where are you living?" (dorms of course).

3. Converse
After you have broken the barrier, it would be awesome to just keep talking. The good thing about meeting new people is that you can just constantly ask questions and its not that weird. And its really easy to maintain conversation because you can both ask each other the same questions - it's totally easy. Here are a list of questions:

  • Where you from?
  • What's your major?
  • What's your schedule like?
  • What is it like to live in [insert country/place]?
  • What do you like to do in [insert country/place]?
  • Aren't you excited to go to school!? (College that is)
  • Which dorm do you live in?
  • Discuss fears/what you're looking forward too. 

4. Branch Off
Okay, at any point when you are asking questions and you want to comment and branch off on that topic - by any means go and do it! It's a conversation that's what you do! Just make sure that you're not the only one talking the whole time - that can be kind of weird I suppose. 

5. Being in a Large Group of People
I actually had to deal with this too - and boy it's a little harder. Well, in big group situations it's really okay to take the reigns. So, if you're dealing with a group of five or six people seriously go ask everyone questions and blah blah blah try to get everyone talking! When there's an awkward pause just ask something else! You can talk about movies, parties, music, or why you all decided that specific college? Or if you're really confident (or weird I like I am) say funny things or do funny motions - yeah, I'm that person. 

*****

Well, since it's only been my first day in orientation and I've made a couple of friends! (But then again there were only a small group of us - international students what what!) I don't know how you feel about meeting people on facebook but I say do it! I actually met the people I talked to on facebook - my excuse for knowing their names - FACEBOOK WHOO! haha I don't know if it's just my new school, but Facebook is an appropriate ice breaker. Fun right? 

Well, stay tunned for more tips and hints! Just remember that confidence is key!
Love, 
ALPHA

No comments:

Post a Comment