Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tell Somebody

One of the articles that I read in the June 2011issue of Glamour began with this headline: "The Secret That Kills 4 Women A Day" - I was actually shocked to read on and discover that it was about domestic violence and relationship abuses. Apparently a lot of young women - in fact far too many - are faced with threats from their male partners. Seems like a horror movie, but it's real life. But why is relationship violence frighteningly common in 2011? And what can we do to prevent and help? The first place to start: Tell Somebody.


The article I was reading was comprised of multiple stories and cases of women who are in abusive relationships, some even resulting in death of the woman. It was hard to read and was terrible tragic, I kept thinking what if this happens to me? My friends? Alpha? We, women, have to prepare ourselves agaisnt all kinds of men - even the good ones. We, women, must be able to be there for another women in case they are in this situation. We, women, must be strong and tough.

I really want to explain the article further, but it really is so strong that if I lack any details I feel as if the message wont be as clear or powerful. So, if you have the time really read this article on the Glamour website. I want to be able to be a strong, confident woman who will not be abused or taken over by any man and I want my friends to be in the same position as me. In fact, I want all women to be in the same position as me. So if you, or if anybody you know is in this situation - DO SOMETHING! Even just saying it to someone makes a profound difference.

Take care of yourself! You are beautiful, intelligent, amazing, and extraordinary. Don't let anyone bring you down or take control of you. You can even talk to Alpha!

Love,
ALPHA

1 comment:

  1. I KNOW I AM WRITING OVER TWO YRS AFTER YOUR ABOVE POSTING BUT JUST NEEDED TO RECONFIRM "PLEASE TELL SOMEBODY". MY DAUGHTER READ THE ARTICLE IN GLAMOUR AND RESPONDED TO THEM. PART OF HER RESPONSE WAS PRINTED IN THE LETTER TO THE EDITORS BUT ALL TOO LATE FOR HER. SHE HAD BEEN IN AN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP WITH HER HUSBAND AND TOLD NO ONE. SHE HAD COVERED UP ALL HER INJURIES WITH PLAUSIBLE EXCUSES. FINALLY DECIDING TO LEAVE HIM SHE TOLD HIM OF HER DECISION. HE PROCEEDED TO LET HER KNOW HE WOULD SLIT HER THROAT BEFORE EVER CLEARING THE DOOR. WHY SHE DID NOT CALL US WE DONT KNOW. THAT NIGHT AFTER FALLING ASLEEP SHE WAS AWOKE WITH A KNIFE TO HER THROAT. AFTER A STRUGGLE SHE SOMEHOW GOT THE KNIFE AND ALL HER PAIN AND MEMORIES FLOODING HER THOUGHTS SHE STABBED HIM COUNTLESS TIMES AND THEN HELD HIM IN HER ARMS AND CRADLED THE MAN SHE STILL LOVED. NOW SHE IS IN PRISON FOR LIFE AND ALL OF OUR LIVES HAVE BEEN ALTERED FOREVER. IF YOU KNOW OF ANYONE YOU EVEN THINK ARE BEING ABUSED PLEASE FOR THEM AND ALL FUTURE YOUNG WOMEN DO NOT BE AFRAID TO TALK TO THEM OR FEEL IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. PARENTS WHO SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE SIGNS.

    ReplyDelete