Saturday, December 31, 2011

I Remember.


In my last writing class, my professor pulled up this poem. I Remember, written by Joe Brainard, is simply just a strem of memories that Brainard recollects. 

All the lines in the poem begins with "I Remember"
For example: 

I remember the first time I met Frank O’Hara. He was walking down Second Avenue. It was a cool early Spring evening but he was wearing only a white shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. And blue jeans. And moccasins.

I remember that he seemed very sissy to me. Very theatrical. Decadent. 

I remember that I liked him instantly.

*****
For the class, we had to do something similar with our own experiences. It's a great way to think about your life, year, or just random experiences. 


Here's what mine looks like: 
I Remember...

I remember the first time I walked down the streets of my college.

I remember the day I moved into my new home in Boston. 

I remember the first night I got drunk with my suite. 

I remember when my mother left. I didn't cry. 

I remember the first time I cried at school. It was because I missed my mother. 

I remember being nervous for my second day of classes. I was right to be nervous. I forgot a pen and panic struck because I couldn't take notes. I had to ask the kid sitting next to me. I haven't sat there since. 

I remember my first writing class and how there was a divide between asians and non-asians. It's slightly improved. 

I remember walking in the Boston Garden on a sunny day. Everything about it seemed perfect. Wonderful wonderful weather. 

I remember it snowing on Halloween. 

I remember not remembering the majority of Halloweekend 

I remember walking in my new high heeled shoes from the end of Newbury street to my school. 

I remember running around Boston to find Ryan Reynolds. And I did find him eventually. 

I remember the first day I wore my new red coat. When that coat gets wet it smells like peppermint...but if you smell it for too long it smells gross.

*****

Especially at this time of year, I think that this is a cool way to reflect on the year (and what you actually remember!) and the memories that you've had. It's also great for self-reflection, it tends to bring out happy and sad memories - basically things that you consider important or meaningful. 
Well...
Wonder time 2011, looking forward to 2012. 

Love,
ALPHA

No comments:

Post a Comment