Tuesday, December 6, 2011

10 Times It's Okay For A Guy To Cry

According to Rupert Dude on CollegeCandy


Alright, let’s dig into this stereotype that men don’t show their emotions as much as women. True? False. Men do. Men do in lots of ways. Just not always smart, rational, or legal ways (but why only condemn men for that, right?) One of the ways that men have been, in certain cases, brought up to believe is unacceptable is crying. My grandfather and my father both were instilled with the belief that crying doesn’t solve anything, therefore it serves no purpose. Now, that’s bullsh*t but unfortunately there is still some guys out there who have that kind of mentality. They can whine and yell and throw tantrums and complain and become utter stone faces under the sun but crying makes them look weak. Well, let me tell you all something, crying doesn’t make you weak and no matter how hard guys might try, there are certain times when all you can do is cry, cry, cry…

1. Watching "Brian's Song"It’s a cliché because it’s true.

2. The birth of a child - I mean, this one’s a no-brainer, right? It’s one of the most moving, exciting, nerve-wracking, chaotic in all the right ways, experiences of a person’s life. This is a moment for open weeping, especially now that we’re allowed in the actual delivery room to witness it.

3. Death of a Parent - Really, any family member dying is a time when tears feel more accepted. Although, some men don’t feel comfortable, depending to their relationship to who passed away, crying openly in public at a time like this. Not everyone does. Grief is a personal experience and everyone has their own ways of going through their five stages of mourning. Tears are most definitely involved, seen or unseen.

4. During the first 10 minutes of “Up” - Come on! We’re only human after all (honey, you’re my Paradise Falls). And when he’s watching the house sink into the clouds, and when he’s giving the little kid his “badge”-the photo album! Crap, who doesn’t just burst when he’s looking through the…*sniff*…Give me a minute.

5. In the face of certain DEATH - Dramatic, right? Hey, there’s a reason life and death stakes are so compelling and engrossing. I mean, if a guy had a gun to my head I would cry. I’d cry and pee myself. I cry, pee myself, and beg. I’d cry, pee myself, beg, and wish I’d had more than a Cliff Bar for breakfast. I assume those are the kinds of thoughts I’d have alongside the wishing my loved ones will be okay. Don’t judge. You don’t know what your last thoughts would be. But you’d probably be thinking them while bawling. Of course, being diagnosed with a terminal disease counts, too.

6. Passing a kidney stone - I curled up into a ball and begged for mommy. Then I did it again after the arthroscopic procedure I needed to have it removed. *shivers*

7. When the love of your life leaves you - What becomes of the broken-hearted? We sink into the couch with a tub of Cheetos and watch the view while letting whatever form of a mountain beard we can grow slowly take over our face. Then we go get our jobs back at the Buy More.


8. When your dog dies - Old Yeller, NOOOOOO!

9. When we say “I do” - Despite what some men may seem like, there is at least one romantic bone somewhere in our bodies. When there’s a special moment like that, doesn’t even have to be the wedding day, but when you really believe that you couldn’t possibly be happier than with that person, let those tears roll down your cheeks.

10. “The ____ Win the World Series!” - Just plug in your town’s team and substitute World Series for the pinnacle of whichever sport you’re obsessed with. Yeah, call it stupid and immature if you want to. We’re too busy blubbering with thousands of others, old and young, who’ve been living out unfulfilled dreams vicariously through athletes for all our lives.

Alright, so I ended on a slightly more whimsical note. As always take the list as seriously as you choose to. But there’s no denying the fact that men do cry and men, I feel, in general should be more open to expressing their emotions through tears. It’s often a tremendous release to a lot of bottled up and overwhelming stress that we’ve got weighing us down. A healthy cry, amen to that. 

Rupert Dude

*****

Once again, I thought this was funny, cute and sweet. Hehe. Anything to add? 
Love, 
ALPHA

No comments:

Post a Comment