Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Sewing

Okay. Just Saying. I think EVERYONE - yes including men - should know how to sew. Like it's so simple I don't understand why people can't do it. And I don't mean everyone should be amazing at it - I'm not even that good. But I think everyone should know the basics, like enough to know how to put back a button on a shirt or fix a little stitching. Seriously, sewing is so simple!!

So for those who are just clueless here are some beginner rules - like seriously BEGINNER but this is like all I have to do lol. 

1. Supplies - try to get some of those little sewing kits (like the Norel one below - usually its provided like from hotels or like companies). And then pin needles are always helpful - not essentially but very helpful and finally some extra thread - match it with whatever you're sewing but personally I just have black thread and like a clear one. 

2. Thread through the needle. < Click there for a real explanation. Okay this is maybe the part where most people struggle cause it really is challenging to get that string in the tiny hole. But after thats done, even out the string on both sides and simply tie a knot. I don't even do it a fancy way...I just tie it like any other knot...

3. Stitching. ((Well the one that I think is the most helpful to know is called a running stitch)) It basically is just weaving in and out. The diagram below is the easiest way to explain it. Enter the needle from below and thats where you start at "a". Now the distance between is up to you but usually it calls for close stitching. So, at "b" is where you enter the needle from above. And once again the distance between the points it totally up to you. Just like you started with "a" now you push the needle back up at "c" and then continue back and forth, back and forth. 


4. Tying the knot (yeah, I giggled). So there are many ways to do this but in all honestly I improvise every time. Usually I just stitch through other stitches and make a knot somehow. I'm sure theres a real way to do it but I don't really care...but IF YOU DO click here for the real explanation. ((Look for the "Ending Knot - Tying Off" section - the videos are really good!)) 

Cool. Like I said everyone should know how to sew. Simple Fact. Simple Skill. Just Learn. 

Love, 
ALPHA

No comments:

Post a Comment